Sunday, July 21, 2013

Taking Notes on Life

During my transition to Philadelphia, I'm learning a lot about life, people, and most importantly, myself.  On Thursday, as I was leaving home to go to work, I was stopped by my neighbor. 
He asked, "How they treating you?" Now, my response was,"They're treating good. I'm enjoying life here in Philly." And I proceeded to tell him about my job at the shelter. He looked at me for a while, then said, "I was talking about life, the world; how are they treating you?" Honestly, for a minute I was dumbfounded. So I explained that the job search wasn't exactly booming, but it was a start and everything would soon work out. He looked at me and said something so profound. (Disclaimer: These are his words exactly, not mine.) 
"When you come out of your house everyday, you have to make a decision." he said. "There's a pile of shit in the world and you are either on the top of it or at the bottom of it. Which one will you be?" This guy was starting to preach a little right there on the stoop. It was a little unorthodox, but it was honest, hardcore truth that everyone don't get on a regular basis. 
The conversation/pep talk really made me re-evaluate why I do what I do. He asked why do I write or volunteer. Was I doing it for my own purposes or was I doing it to empower someone else life. I thought about it for a minute. Although volunteering, writing, and designing websites are good for resume purposes, but how are those things benefiting the community. 
He said something that was, at first a little offensive, but I eventually took note of what he was saying. "What I noticed about people who are communication majors or supposed to be communication type people; they can express anything online through computers, but put them in front of an audience and you get nothing out of them." 
I had to agree with him, I've seen many people, even myself at one point, that could proclaim to be such a great activist or catalyst for change, but in person, they stagnant, they just do it for a cover up. 
Overall, the conversation made me think, why did I choose this path that I've taken in life. Is it because I want the accolades that comes with it or do I really want to help and empower someone else. Let this be a note in life for you, whatever path you choose, make sure that it benefits the greater population, not just yourself. 
In the words of the great trailblazer, Shirley Chisholm, "Service is the rent you pay for room on this earth." Make your purpose is not only good for you but good for others too. Find your service and you'll find your purpose. 
Be sure to read  'Catch-up with Chano' every week and then tune in to my show, "Chilling with Chano and Lyric" every Wednesday at Noon on www.blogtalkradio.com/chanolyric  Thanks for the support!

No comments:

Post a Comment